I was reading about people using green shakes the other day for nutrition or meal replacements. I decided to give it a try. With the lowest expectations possible, I purchased ingredients that I would like to have included in my green shake. I put them in the blender and was absolutely sure I would not be drinking the whole thing.
Like Gomer Pyle said, “Surprise, Surprise!” (Yes, I’m that old.) It was good. Here is the recipe. There are some ingredients you will have on hand and some you will most certainly not; think kale! Anyway, give it a try. I promise, it is sweet and refreshing. And, you get a heap of vitamins in one glass! Bottoms up!
Shake It Shake by Jodie Pelinsky
- 4 baby carrots
- one kale leaf, rinsed and stem pulled out
- one handful of baby spinach, washed
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled (or to taste)
- a few mint leaves, to taste
- 2 inch piece of english cucumber or equivalent of what you have on hand
- 1 cup of orange juice (maybe a little more to thin, if needed)
- 6-8 ounces vanilla greek yogurt
- a handful of blueberries
- 3 strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup or honey
- one stalk of celery
Place all ingredients in blender. Make sure the orange juice is on the bottom to get your shake started. Blend until the ginger is completely blended. Serve.